Why The Vegan Hog Blog? To answer the question I'm most asked.. " Your Vegan?? What the heck do you Eat anyway"

I'm no photographer and there's very little commentary. Just sharing the Plant Based recipes, I've made and tested in my Kitchen...Some original, others not... Enjoy!


Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Potato Verde

Sometimes you just stumble on a ridiculously simple, and  delicious dish, such as this one.
I was in the mood for some salsa Verde...and while whipping up a batch, I realized  I had nothing to eat it with... so I threw on  some boiled potatoes and whoa-la ... Potato Verde is what you get!





2-3 organic butter potatoes per person
1/4 avocado per person

1 pound tomatillos
2 habaneros peppers
3 cloves of garlic, peeled
1/2 an onion, quartered
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup water
juice of 1 lime
kosher or sea salt, to taste
1-2 tsp agave, optional

Boil the potatoes in salt water and cook until tender but not soft

Make Salsa
Roast tomatillos over an open flame ( I did mine on my gas stove) with a pair of tongs, and roast the skin until blistered and somewhat charred.
Place a flat top on the stove and heat to med-high heat. Mist with spritz of olive oil, then wipe off.
Roast garlic, onions and hot peppers until somewhat charred.

Let veggies cool off silghty, then place all of them into the blender except for two of the tomatillos and 1/2 of the onion, which you need to dice fine ( if you like it chunky)
Add the cilantro, lime juice, water, salt and agave if using and blend until the smoothness of your liking. Add the diced tomatillos and onion and add to the salsa and adjust the seasonings to your liking.

Spoon the salsa verde over the warm potatoes and serve with sliced avocados!

No comments:

Post a Comment