Why The Vegan Hog Blog? To answer the question I'm most asked.. " Your Vegan?? What the heck do you Eat anyway"

I'm no photographer and there's very little commentary. Just sharing the Plant Based recipes, I've made and tested in my Kitchen...Some original, others not... Enjoy!


Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Ugly on Meat Substitutes.

Day Four

I really don't  understand, the idea of choosing to adopt a plant based diet and then filling it with Meat Substitutes, Meat Replacements, Tofu, and Tvp.  I personally, do not miss the meat in my diet and thus feel no need to see chucks of meat-like substances in my food.

I do have an open mind, and have really, truly tried to enjoy Tofu, but no matter,which way I've prepared it.. I friggin hate it! I do not find it appealing on any level, no matter, what sauce I marinate it in...whether it's baked, sauteed, stewed, crumbled, or deep fried. ( With the exception of Silken Tofu, for uses in creams, and sauces )

Over the course of the past few weeks, I prepared and tested repeatedly, two other Vegan Meat Replacements.. Seitan and Tempeh, and once again...I found them both with little to be desired. Tempeh was down right disgusting and what repulsed me even more than the taste, was how much I spent on it!
Seitan, while much more cost effective, as I made it myself, I found to be gelatenous and off-putting on so many levels...

This Evening, I decided to give Gardein a try.......

Today's Menu:
Gardein "Chicken" Piccata
Garlicky Creamed Spinach with Polenta



What was truly remarkable here was the creamed spinach. Fresh and creamy and loaded with garlic....a delectable treat all on it's own..

The Gardein, to be honest, reminded me of those old Jenny-O "turkey" loaves from the 1970's...Ughh

  For me, I've decided to stick to what I know and love...loads of vegetables, grains, and legumes, Spicy Currys, and Ethnic specialties from around the world, and leave the Meat subsitutes for someone else .....

WORTH-A-TRY...VEGAN CREAMED SPINACH

2 Pounds of fresh spinach
1 cup sof silken tofu
1/4 cup Vegenaise
1 Large clove garlic
1 Tbsp. Fresh squeezed Lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Blanch spinach in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain in fine mesh strain and squeeze out the excess water. Chop and set aside.
Put the tofu, veganaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour this mixture into a small pot and warm completely through, cook through, but do  not boil.
Pour over spinach and toss...Serve warm





No comments:

Post a Comment